Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 19, 2010

This is really my picture from Sunday - doesn't Ginger look like the picture of comfort. At least the girls like to cuddle.
But my main Sunday project was to make Swedish Creams. Here is the recipe as written by my mother:

Judi learned how to do these and did them for years. Then she stopped because too much work. Janet picked up doing them.

I have never tried.

Swedish Cremes

1 cup butter

2 cups flour, sifted - cut in and gradually add cream

1/3 cup whip cream

Make like pie crust and then chill in refrigerator. It will form a ball.

Work with 1/3 dough at a time.

Roll out 1/8” thick.

Cut with 1.5” cookie cutter – round – coated with sugar. Prick. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 7-9 minutes 375 degrees

Frosting sandwich.

¼ c soft butter, ¾ c powdered sugar, 1 egg yolk, 1 t vanilla Doesn’t sound like you melt the butter, just stir the whole thing together? I will ask her.

Color red or green sometimes.


And this is what I came away with. I had no problems getting the dough to roll out to 1/8" thick. Of course I accidentally didn't get enough butter in it and compensated with cream. It was OK, but a little tough. I found that docking the dough before I cut out the rounds was much more efficient than docking it after I cut the rounds. Though many at the office thought the dough was a cracker until they tasted it.
I think Auntie Janet must roll hers out a bit thicker than 1/8". But alls well that ends well, the cookies tasted good!

No comments:

Post a Comment