Monday, December 6, 2010

December 5, 2010

Green Chili Pork Stew is one of my favorite dishes at the Roaring Fork. The recipe calls for a boatload of green chillies and as I was chopping my poblanos I ran across this interesting picture.

The recipe is ridiculously unhelpful. I channeled all the experience I had reading my Mom's written recipes and came up with a fairly decent stew.

2 cups diced yellow onions

1 cup diced poblanos

2 lb. diced pork

2 Tbsp. minced garlic

2 Tbsp. cumin powder

2 Tbsp. ground coriander

2 Tbsp. jalapeño powder

5 Tbsp. green chili powder

2 Tbsp. onion powder

2 cups chicken stock

Salt and pepper to taste

In a stewing pot, sauté vegetables until tender.

Add diced pork. Add all dry ingredients.

Stir well for a couple of minutes, blend well. Add chicken stock and let simmer on low to medium heat for 11/2 hours or until fork tender.

Skim fat off surface as stew simmers. Season with salt and pepper just before service, only if needed, to your taste.

Serve in a bowl with pepper Jack cheese, roasted serrano pepper and warm, buttered flour tortillas.

I had to substitute regular chili powder instead of green chili powder because really, where am I going to find that in Austin??? It definitely affected the taste so I searched online and found a green chili power source. At like $5 per ounce I don't see me purchasing 5T worth!!

I then ran across this version of the recipe.....

Roaring Fork Green Chile
Pork

Source: Roaring Fork, Scottsdale, Arizona

2 tablespoons corn oil
2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, coarsely cut
Kosher salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
2 cups yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup jalapeno chile, minced
1 cup dried New Mexico green chiles, seeded, stemmed and minced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
2 cups poblano chile, roasted, peeled and pureed
1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
24 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Over a fire or stove burner, heat corn oil in a cast-iron pot. Season the pork with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, add the pork, onion, jalapeno and New Mexico chiles and garlic. Cook until the pork is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Add the poblano chile puree and simmer for 45 minutes. When done, sprinkle with jack cheese and serve with tortillas.

Makes about 6 servings.

I still need to get a source green New Mexico chilis but it would probably be easier to find those than the powder. I'll let you know if I rally to the cause of this one again....it might just be easier to go to the Roaring Fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment